• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETA for Defense Grid II ?

Update:
    (edited by jeffpob)

Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter is Underway
    Defense Grid 2 is now in YOUR hands! Go to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...defense-grid-2 and pledge what you can to help bring Defense Grid content to reality. Your pledge can make the difference.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(original post by Zentower):

The title is in jest. It's nice having some new maps to play with the resurgence map packs. But. It's. Not. Enough.
    Must.
    Have.
    Maps.

The new maps are nicely produced, polished maps but you must realize 6 or 8 maps just isn't enough. I don't think I will be satisfied till there is a whole new game or a map editor.

I guess my question is this. I am about to login to xbox live to check for the last 2 maps. Once obtained I estimate I will have approximately 1-2 weeks of playing and re-playing before I am ready for more DG maps, at best. Once the replay value is depleted "the shakes" will set in, followed by cold sweats and paranoia. Do you have any recommendations that would make it easier going without DF?

Re: ETA for Defense Grid II ?

Ahh, you have that disease too?* We do here as well.* I will say this, we've been talking with several partners about going bigger and better with the Defense Grid franchise and there have been lots of good discussions.* But, discussions take time, and then turning good discussions turn into good agreements takes time, and then building the thing you want to play takes a lot of time too.* Know that your desires are in alignment with ours, but that the wait will be much longer than you'd desire (and we'd desire).* If you know folks with bucketloads of money who would like to help finance good games to be made, we'd be happy to talk with them.

In the meantime, however, we'll keep going on the discussions with the good partners we are building relationships with now, and see where that leads us.

Jeff

Comment

One idea, put up a donations button on your site! I'm sure all the rabid fans would throw $10 at ya, if not more!

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the response.
        Sorry all my rich friends are only imaginary at this point. If the situation changes I will let you know.

I will say that knowing about Defense Grid on the Xbox was an extra motivation for me to purchase an Xbox console. Not the only reason but definitely a factor.

Comment

I already have a sense of foreboding. I haven't played a couple of challenge modes from map pack 2, and I haven't finished off the killzone challenge modes. After that there are a couple of things I want to try score wise on a few modes. Then I have to find some sort meaning in my life and pretend it's as good as DG. That's the ultimate challenge mode.

Comment

Try to get ranked within 100 on all maps and modes. That should keep you busy!

Comment

Originally posted by shplog View Post
              Try to get ranked within 100 on all maps and modes. That should keep you busy!
              Here is the number 1 mistake developers make.

Difficult crap never did make Defense Grid a great game. The 'more' difficult expansions was absolutely horrible mistake and didn't bring anything new to the game.

Game was perfect as it originally was build and heading the developer thinks is good is incorrect as plain and stupid as it may sound the original missions were FUN to play and learn, but that does not change the fact 'learning' was part of the fun and continuing to increase already learned just never works. They should of start each expansion from begin and expansions would of actually be more fun, if there would of only been 1 difficult level instead of several. Also considering type of persons playing defense grid I would of say average difficulty and incredible feed to power hungry person would of been really nice idea to continue.
              Last edited by genetix; 07/19/2011, 07:14 AM.

Comment

It is very true that many different people enjoy different aspects of Defense Grid. Like yourself, many people don't want hugely difficult puzzles to solve, they want them to be interesting enough to engage them, but not so difficult to be frustrating. Other players need a increased level of difficulty to keep their interest up.

The four-map Borderlands expansion was designed with some of the people who want a more challenging experience in mind, but was made available free for everyone.

The eight-map Resurgence expansion was designed for a difficulty similar to the last 1/3rd of the original campagin and a broader audience. It is sold in four parts for $1 each to allow people to make their own choice about how much of that they'd like to play.

On Steam, we've also added in the two free CHAS levels that were part of Portal 2, and most recently during the Steam Summer Sale introduced a new mode "Out of Bullets" to five of the original levels and a new achievement for completing those levels in this mode. The Out of Bullets mode is a bit on the easier side of the curve, but takes some new thinking since Guns and Cannons aren't available.

That's what we've released so far. We're hoping to bring you more soon.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
                  Ahh, you have that disease too?* We do here as well.* I will say this, we've been talking with several partners about going bigger and better with the Defense Grid franchise and there have been lots of good discussions.* But, discussions take time, and then turning good discussions turn into good agreements takes time, and then building the thing you want to play takes a lot of time too.* Know that your desires are in alignment with ours, but that the wait will be much longer than you'd desire (and we'd desire).* If you know folks with bucketloads of money who would like to help finance good games to be made, we'd be happy to talk with them.

In the meantime, however, we'll keep going on the discussions with the good partners we are building relationships with now, and see where that leads us.

Jeff
                  I rather wait a few month extra for new maps and/or a map editor than see you guys selling out to some big company. Worst thing that could happen would be if you sold out to activision or something. What a nightmare!

"You can now buy special towers for just $1.99 if you have a special Defense Grid Gold edition subscription. If you have the regular Tower Defense game you can still buy the special tower for $4.99 and each shot will cost you $0.02. In the gold edition you get a 50% discount on each shot fired - and that will save you a lot of money!"

Just hang in there! It's kind of like that beer slogan for Carsberg: Worth waiting for!

Comment

Comment

Sequel

Defense grid is one of my all-time favorite games. I only play the most engaging games through till the end, and not only did I play the main game and all expansions through, I'm currently going through each challenge mode. This is something I've almost never done before, replay a game time and again after I have beaten it. I thirst terribly for a sequel, it is a mystery to me that every developer out there isn't trying to team up with you to fund the sequel, there is huge money to be made here. So many thousands of games out there and so many are crap, this game's playability is in the top 5% of those offered on steam IMHO.

Comment

Thanks! Yes, the economy of video game development is quite different now than it was 3 years ago. We keep coming close, but in the meantime we've been focusing on things like the ARG content, or the summer sale on Steam with the new mode & achievement. I expect some more along those lines coming for both Steam and Xbox 360 in the months ahead, meanwhile, you'll hear about what has been keeping most of the studio busy here in a few weeks.

Jeff

Comment

After reading this thread and seeing how often the admins around here respond, i made myself an account lol. I wanted to say that DG2 would be amazing, especially coming from a console gamer who has noticed the vast lacking of tower defense games available. However patience is key here, as im sure we all want just as addicting and smooth game as the first. Not only does hiddenpath need to find a wealthy sponsor (if thats the correct term in the gaming world), but they also need to consider new towers, balance issues, bugs, maps, graphics, etc etc. And thats just the consideration aspect. Next times the developing. I guess im getting at patience is a necessity for us fans. Thanks for the amazing game at such a reasonable price, and just like the other fans, ill be waiting for the next one.

Comment

Registered purely to say I bought Defense Grid on steam as soon as it came out and am still playing it to this day.

I would buy DG2 or any other tower defense game as soon as it came out if made by the folks who made DG.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpobst View Post
                              Thanks! Yes, the economy of video game development is quite different now than it was 3 years ago. We keep coming close, but in the meantime we've been focusing on things like the ARG content, or the summer sale on Steam with the new mode & achievement. I expect some more along those lines coming for both Steam and Xbox 360 in the months ahead, meanwhile, you'll hear about what has been keeping most of the studio busy here in a few weeks.

Jeff
                              Jeff,
                              what has been keeping most of your studio busy? Was hoping to see an announcement about DG 2, or another Xpac.
                              Your game is VERY good! Glad I bought it so long ago, and can replay it now.

RM

Comment

Working...
                              X